Kakadu Nature Retreat
This one is for all you Wild Women who are looking for a full Mind, Body & Soul nourishing adventure! You will journey deep into nature and your own wild side on this journey through the raw and beautiful Top End of the NT. Hosted by life coach/NLP therapist/spiritual guru Mel Coombs, and outback adventure guide Madi Ambrose, they will take you on the adventure of a lifetime and leave you feeling grounded and revived!
Explore the world heritage listed Kakadu National Park, including Maguk waterfall, Jim Jim falls, and Ubirr lookout.
Meditation, yoga, breathwork, conscious dance and many more empowering activities hosted by Mel.
Sleep under the brilliant outback stars in a cute and comfy tent and swag.
Share stories and laughs around a campfire.
Learn about Indigenous culture and view millenia old rock art.
Visit the incredible Katherine Gorge via kayak!
Explore the waterholes and waterfalls of Litchfield National Park.
Date: 7 - 12 Sept, 2021
Start & Finish: Darwin
Group size: 15
All meals: 5 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 5 dinners; plus lots of yummy snacks.
Camping gear: swag, sleeping bag, tent.
Transport to all destinations in 4wd vehicle.
Self love/empowerment activities and lessons by a qualififed life coach.
National park entry tickets & campsite fees.
Kayak hire at Katherine Gorge
2 accredited local guides.
What you will have to pay for: snacks & souveniers!
This is an active trip involving short hikes and walks every day. You can expect to walk 3-6km each day as we explore rock holes and waterfalls. The exact hikes we choose to do will depend on the climate on the day, and what regions are open. Bring a sturdy pair of walking shoes/boots as we will be crossing a variety of terrains.
Kakadu and the top end national parks feature many beautiful waterholes and waterfalls. Most of these waterholes are managed to remove crocodiles creating safe swimming spots during the dry season. Swimming is at your own risk and if you can not swim we advise you not to. Both guides have first aid certificates and are CPR trained. We will tell you where is safe or not safe to swim.
This trip will begin in Darwin at 7am. We will meet at Rays Cafe and Patiserie on Smith St (Darwin CBD) for introductions and a coffee! (You will need to make your own way to this meeting spot, it is walkable from most city hotels/hostels, otherwise you can catch an uber.
This trip will finish in Darwin at 5pm on the final day of the adventure. You will be dropped off at any location of your choice in Darwin city. Your departure flights should not be untill the following day just incase of any delays.
What to Bring:
Sturdy walking shoes/boots
Light summer clothing
Jacket (nights can be cool)
Power bank (power points are limited at most campgrounds)
Day pack (small backpack to use during day times)
Luggage is limited to a small (approx 10kg) duffle bag per person.
Day 1: Litchfield National Park
- Meet at Rays Cafe and Patiserie at 7am for introductions and coffee.
- Head to Litchfield National Park for our first look at the stunning tropical savanna.
- Visit Walker Creek for a swim, one of the more secluded and lesser known Litchfield waterholes.
- Explore the famous Florence Falls.
- Camp just outside Litchfield at a remote bush camp.
Day 2: Katherine Gorge
- Wake up to the sunrise and sounds of tropical birds at our campground, followed by breakfast and packing up camp.
- Today you will really get your 'adventure on' as we hire kayaks and embark on our expedition up the Katherine Gorge. These ancient sandstone cliffs will leave you speachless as you peacefully glide along the river in the kayak.
- Tonight we will find a secluded camp near Katherine gorge.
Day 3: Edith Falls
- Have a relaxed morning waking up in nature and enjoy a coffee.
- Today we will spend the day exploring Edith Falls, a stunning cascade waterfall in Nitmiluk National Park, known for its beautiful vistas and scenic hiking.
- Tonight we will camp on the southern edge of Kakadu National Park.
Day 4: Kakadu National Park
- It's time to head to the most famous location of the Top End - Kakadu!
- Our first stop will be Maguk waterhole, a stunning crystal clear swimming hole at the base of the Kakadu Escarpment.
- Tonight we will arrive to our campsite nice and early so we can enjoy the sunset.
Day 5: Kakadu National Park
- Today we will rise early for our biggest and best hike, the top pools of Jim Jim falls! It is a stunning 6km hike to reach the summit of the gorge, which involves quite a lot of stairs, but dont worry- we will take it slow and have lots of breaks! We are not in a rush.
- After our hike we will cool off with a swim in the lower pool of Jim Jim falls.
- It will be a 1 hour drive to tonights campsite in Kakadu National Park.
Day 6: Kakadu National Park
- Our last day of the adventure! Today we will visit the famous rock art sites where indigenous people painted with ochres for thousands of years.
- We will gain our final views of the beautiful Kakadu scenery from the top of Nawurlundja Lookout.
- This will bring us to the end of our trip and we will begin the 3 hour drive back to Darwin, with a few more short stops on the way to see beautiful wetlands.